Ontario Tennis

Ontario Tennis 2012/2013 | Summer 2012

Tennis, Ontario

Issue link: http://digital.lmgroup.com/i/73851

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 17 of 31

CLUB PROFILE Lawrence Park Tennis Club By Marg Fortin a tennis club. Decades ago, it was a more like a second home. During the summer, apart from tennis, there were opening night wine and cheese events, movie nights, weekends at the Milford Manor or Bangor Lodge in the Muskokas or the Red Umbrella Inn in Haliburton, corn roasts in the fall, and end of season dinner/dances at venues such as the Board of Trade Golf Club in Woodbridge, and Fantasy Farm, and the Badminton and Rac- quet Club. Social life continued in the winter with skating parties at the clubhouse, when the courts were flooded. This was the pre- baby-sitter era, when parents brought their children to the club and were able to play while other adults kept watchful eyes on the little ones. Upon seeing the pristine clay courts in the at these two clubs. To long-time members LPTC was not just Jane Seed, Rosti Brankovsky, Allison Parks and Dennis Ing lawrence park tennis club celebrates 100yrs E 18 More than just a tennis club, it's a second home the south end of Alexander Muir Park, south of Lawrence Avenue and Yonge Street, and accessed by a small road east off Yonge, Lawrence Park Tennis Club (LPTC) shares a common history with the Lawrence Park Lawn Bowling and Croquet Club, its next door neighbour. Their joint history is a part of the history of the Lawrence Park area, which began as a garden suburb in 1907, known as Lawrence Park Estates. In 1909, a bowl- to join. But for some, there's only one tennis club—Lawrence Park Tennis Club—and this year, this grand old dame of tennis clubs is celebrating its 100th birthday. Tucked away in the picturesque ravine at SUMMER 2012 VERY YEAR, JUST AFTER NEW YEAR, with the longer, brighter days, thoughts often turn to sum- mer plans—camps for the kids, golf lessons, summer va- cations, and which tennis club season as spring 1912, with Wilfrid Serving- ton Dinnick, President of the Standard Loan Company, which financed the development, . The bowling club records its first IN 1909, A BOWLING GREEN AND TENNIS COURTS WERE ADDED FOR THE ENJOYMENT OF THE RESIDENTS OF THE DEVELOPMENT as its first president. Tennis was a second- ary activity to occupy the family and friends of the bowlers while they bowled.2 rent tennis clubhouse, built in 1954, stands where the original lawn bowling clubhouse stood, following the erection in 1951 of the present lawn bowling clubhouse closer to the bowling green . For 100 years, tennis and lawn bowling have been played continuously The cur- www.TENNISONTARIO.com ing green and tennis courts were added for the enjoyment of the residents of the devel- opment1 Look for the Islington exit off the 401. for both clubs, as occurred in 2007 for their 95th birthday. The gate dividing the two clubs will be open, and once more, tennis play- ers and bowlers will mingle, as they did 100 years ago. Check out www.LAWRENCEPARKTENNISCLUB.ca for more information. Over the past decade, Sunday tea no longer meant home-baked cookies and coffee cakes but a quick stop at the local grocery store for a box of whichever cookies were on sale, that is, if someone remembered. But old habits die hard. Sunday tea with more planned of- ferings is back! This year, joint celebrations are planned and one which helps to integrate new mem- bers, is its queue-up system of play. Every player tags up upon arrival, and the first per- son makes up a foursome for doubles from the next 11 tagged-up players. Thus every player is guaranteed to play either by being asked to play or by getting to the head of the queue and making up a foursome. A few years ago, the third court was designated for reserved bookings for players who prefer to make up their own party. Another revered tradition is Sunday tea. park-like setting and players dressed pre- dominantly in white, a first-time visitor to the park could be forgiven for thinking that he or she had stumbled upon an exclusive private tennis club. (The dress code now allows for a 10% colour trim.) But nothing could be farther from the truth. Lawrence Park is one of the many public community tennis clubs in the City, with more members outside of the Law- rence Park area than resident in the immedi- ate community. In fact, about seven years ago, membership was in decline, but good mar- keting, the closure of nearby St. Clement's Tennis Club, and referrals, have resulted in healthy numbers and a waiting list. One long-standing tradition of the club, Pam Olley

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of Ontario Tennis - Ontario Tennis 2012/2013 | Summer 2012